Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 27, 2013

App Academy - Too Good To Be True ?

I was reading some of Yahoo's ads that are disguised as "news" stories, and ran across one for App Academy, and how you don't have to pay if you don't get a web developer job.
 I ventured over to their site, and several red flags / issues popped up.

 First off, this "academy" teaches web development and design, yet their web site looks like crap and is not coded very well ( I looked at the source code ). How can any one take these people seriously when they can not get their own site looking good?

 Secondly, their statements about pay of web devs / web designers are off. The field of web dev / design is HIGHLY competitive, thanks to educated folks in China and India willing to do the work for far less than Americans.
 The NORMAL pay for this field is $25,000 - $40,000. There are some places were you can make $83,000 as stated on the site, however, from my research, jobs like that are very hard to get.

 Third, they state that sic ""Apple is the de facto standard among devs"" . I can tell you, that's an outright lie. I know a lot of programmers that use Windows and Linux.
 Heck, a lot of dev tools they listed  I already use on my Windows 7 computer.
 Be very cautious of ANY "school" that favors only one operating system. In the real world, you need to know about all of them.

 Forth, in their curriculum listing, I noticed they favor "Ruby on Rails" as their backbone framework almost everything is based off of.  Very few companies use it in real life. It's nice to know, but excluding all the more commonly used frameworks, really limits one's employ-ability a LOT.
 It also doesn't help that Ruby on Rails has quite a few known scalability and security issues, as of when I posted this.

 I could go on all day on the problems I have with this "school", but I want to keep this post to a manageable size.
 The last thing I would like to point out is that the locations of this "academy" are in VERY expensive areas. I did some research on how much it would cost to live in both areas for 9 weeks, and the results are astronomically high.
 Rent, food, and transportation for 9 weeks would run $8,000 - $12,000. If you would be willing to travel 2+ hours each way to "school", the cost would be reduced to about $5,000 - $8,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment