Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Roquefort Société Cheese Review

 Whenever I travel to a new area, I always look for the local exotic cheese section in the grocery stores.
 Today I found something interesting while in Cambridge Ohio - blue sheep cheese, called Roquefort.



Name:  Roquefort Cheese
Company:Société des Caves de Roquefort ( Lactalis )
Country Of Origin: France [*1]
Type: Blue Sheep Cheese
Price: $18 LB

 I would love to write a review here, about this wonderful looking, cave aged cheese, but there is an issue I ran into.
 The original sealed wedge of cheese I bought was contaminated with common mold. I bought a second wedge, and it was also contaminated.
 Taking a nibble I spat it out, as it was obvious it was contaminated, and not a feature of this type of cheese.
 So much for that. All I can say is, if these moldy parts of the cheese, have a grey tinge to them, do not eat it. Mold that cross contaminates blue cheese has been known to kill people.


[*1]Note: Under European law, only blue sheep's cheese that has been made and aged in the caves of "Roquefort-sur-Soulzon", in south France, can be called "Roquefort".

No comments:

Post a Comment