Total Pageviews

Friday, January 28, 2011

How Envelope Stuffing Actually Works!

Almost every one has seen the ads for envelope stuffer, that promise huge sums of money for "part time work".
We all know by now these are scams, but what of the real job of envelope stuffer?

I needed some extra money, so I signed up at a day labor place. I was sent off to a commercial printer / mailer.

The first day I was part of a "build team", which meant stuffing different envelopes with different materials.

Any way, they brought in pallets full of large envelopes, brochures, booklets, pamphlets, and return envelopes and sat them down next to our tables.
We had 12 stuffers in my group, + 1 runner who made sure every one had material at all times.
We were expected to stuff 1 envelope with 1 booklet, 1 pamphlet, and 1 return envelope in 15 seconds or less.
This may sound easy, but after doing thousands of them, it gets hard on the hands.
We all were making $7.50 an hour.

I've found that institutions will not invest in auto stuffing machines if they are constantly changing what gets mailed out.

On the second day I was placed on the stamping / sealing machines. There were 4 of us, who ran different sized envelopes threw a machine that weighed, stamped, and sealed them at the same time.
Including unboxing and reboxing, we were expected to complete an envelope every 2 seconds.
This may also sound easy, but after keeping up a frantic pace ( 1,500 - 2,000 envelopes an hour ), it is harder than it sounds.

Now you know how commercial envelope stuffing works.
I really don't see how a "do it at home" venture could be profitable, when they have to compete with commercial ventures like were I worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment